Sunday, June 28, 2009

State name change???

Give me a BREAK!!! Heard earlier today, in S.S., that Rhode Island was considering a name change. Or, at least, there were certain state legislators calling for one. Why?? Because of references to 'slavery'. I"ll bet not 1% of the population of the US even knew that the 'official' title is "The State of Rhode Island And Provincial Plantations". Did you??

I personally am getting a bit fed up with various states 'apologizing' for slavery, over for about 145 years now, as if todays population were still responsible for things that happened a couple of centuries ago. Like the present African-Americans were the only group who were ever oppressed. I think that they have been given over and above what was called for, and that they need to suck it up, get their educations, build their families, and accept what happens, just as the rest of us do. This latest publicity push in Rhode Island is ridiculous, to say the least, and expensive, in this economic times, at the most, just to satisfy the whim of one or more tin-cup state elected officials. GET A LIFE, GUYS!

I would rather file a suit for 'reverse discrimination' for myself. About 33-34 years ago, shortly after I came to Florida, I applied for a position with the County Fire
Department. I had 12 years of fire-fighting experience in Indiana, on several departments, was a Red Cross First-Aid instructor, was trained in extracation procedures, propane fire tactics, etc. After writing the required test, and scoring 93%, far above the 70% minimum, (and the highest score they had had,) I was not even granted an interview with the 'hiring' chief, because I was White, and they wanted to hire a person of 'color' to fill a quota! (Highest test score they had from a person of 'color', at the time, was 37%, I was told.) I could have put in 20-25 years, and been retired with a pension by now, given a fair chance.

That may be why I have a hard time feeling sorry about apologies and name changes. As I said, suck it up, get a life, and work toward rewards for efforts, not be looking for sympathy and handouts.

No comments: