Monday, February 23, 2009

Weekend at the funeral home

No, not for me, even if my knees did object to the grouting. But I did get the grouting done, on Tuesday, as scheduled, and the project does look good. Now I need to figure out how to inject a photo into this blog. (Actually, I had gotten this far just a minute ago, and then tried to get a photo in, and ended up losing the whole thing.) Maybe the photo will follow later.

Actually, a neighbor passed away last Wedneday, and we were at the funeral home for the visiting hours yesterday, and the funeral service this morning. She was 94 years old, had arthritis very badly, and had been in severe pain for quite some time, and wanting to be gone, and have the suffering gone as well. She had a stroke 2 weeks ago, had gone into the hospital, and transferred to hospice a couple of days later. She looked much more at peace in her casket. She had no family left, other than her son, who had provided care for many years, particularly the last year, after he retired, to be able to stay home and care for her, almost 24/7. Carol would go over at times, just across the street, when the son needed to go to the doctor, etc, for himself. Carol has known her for almost 45 years--they are the last of the original neighbors that were here when Carol arrived in '64.

I had just read an article in the latest Smithsonian magazine, that was quite interesting. The author had had occasion to bury both his father, and his father-in-law, just a few days apart, in two different states, and had quite varied and interesting burials for each. For the one, in Maine, the family was able to prepare the body, build their own casket, (Home Depot--You can do it, we can help.) And make arrangements for cremation, not without some difficulties in being allowed to transport the body, but they got it done. The second funeral, in Michigan, had to deal with a lot more mandates and restrictions, and obviously, expense, as well. In Maine, the casket cost $91 to build, and $350 for cremation, not sure if the urn was included, or what. In Michigan, the cost was over $11,000, even with what they considered a moderately priced casket. Quite a difference.

In discussion with the funeral directors, and stating my desire to have a RED casket with Chrome handles, they agreed that it probably would be most possible, provided I built and supplied my own, which is permissible, and then could have what I wanted. And at a most reasonable price, as well. I do not see this as a major hurdle, as I can handle the construction, at least at this point in time. My biggest concern is storage until it is needed. Short of using the finished project as a storage cabinet of some kind, until it is needed for a final container, I do not know where I could store it. But I will give it some thought, and see what I can come up with. Hmmmmm, wonder if H-D or Lowes has the best selection of handles??

No comments: