Monday, October 13, 2008

Not a great start

Seems my activities got interrupted, just as this was getting started. Wednesday evening I developed a severe fever, (102.4), as was taken by my wife to the emergency room. I just got out yesterday evening.

Somehow, having the laser procedure for the kidney stone removal, prompted a staph infection, primarily in my blood. They kept pumping me full of antibiotics, poking holes in my hide for blood tests, and waking me every two hours, (to see if I was sleeping, I guess.) Once they got an idea of the problem, and pumped enough drugs into my system, I got sent home yesterday. Not out of the woods yet, I had a PICC line inserted into my upper right arm, and have to get more drugs for at least two weeks. I am supposed to be getting a fanny-pack type pump system, to infuse the drug sort of constantly all day, but have to go in every day, to get the pump reloaded. Pumps were on short supply today, but promised for tomorrow.

At least I got to sleep in my own bed last night, with a proper pillow. What a wonderful change. I am feeling better, getting to eat Carol's cooking again, and not some food that seems not to have survived some kind of past droughts/taste mutations/cost analysis, or whatever. I had some very nice nurses and helpers, but was not thrilled with the lab tech coming in every morning at 5am to draw blood samples, and the followup at 6 am, etc, and not being able to get a cup of coffee until the 'breakfast' tray came at 9:10 or later. Now that I think of it, I should have had Carol smuggle in a small coffee maker, and then I could have made my own as needed. I'll bet the smell of fresh-made coffee would have gotten the nurses attention.

My main daily activity will be to get to the Infusion Center, but I also need to make follow-up visits to several Drs, probably adjust or cancel a couple of Dr visits that I had scheduled prior to this, and try to remember when each has to be done. Also need to go out and start my truck, to make sure it will start. It has been parked for several weeks now. I am feeling well enough to probably make some of the Dr visits on my own, (if I can get an OK from Dr. Carol!!) And perhaps get some blogging done as well.

No comments: